A crown is a type of dental restoration, which completely caps or encircles a tooth. Crown is indicated to restore a broken, badly decayed tooth or to safeguard a Root Canal treated tooth.
A Bridge is a dental restoration used to replace a single or multiple missing teeth by joining permanently the adjacent teeth.
A Crown or a bridge is either made up of Porcelain fused to Metal, Zirconia, or an all Ceramic material in order to best match the requirement of function and aesthetics. These are fabricated using the modern Cad/ Cam technology by the Lab for a precise fit and come with a warranty of up to 15 years.
At Maskati Dental Center one can choose from the porcelain fused to metals crowns or the highly aesthetic zirconia/ceramic crowns which once cemented will look exactly like your natural teeth.
Procedure for Dental Crowns and Bridges-
- Your dentist will first numb the area around the tooth with local anaesthetic. However if your tooth has been root canal treated this step is not required.
- Your dentist will then reduce your existing tooth/teeth to make room for the restoration.
- Next, you dentist will take an impression of the prepared tooth/teeth and send to a dental laboratory.
- You will be fitted with a temporary crown that will protect your tooth while the permanent crown/bridge is being custom made. All these steps will be completed in one visit.
- Once the crown/ bridge is back from the laboratory which usually takes about a week, your dentist will check the fit and once everything is perfect will bond it to the tooth with cement.
After care Instructions-
- Maintaining oral hygiene by brushing and flossing twice daily so as to prevent excess plaque and debris from collecting around the restoration.
- Excessive grinding/clenching can shorten the life of a crown/bridge. In such a case getting a nightguard made from your dentist can help you solve the problem
- If taken care of properly crowns and bridges can last a lifetime.